Wednesday 25 July 2007

Faith...

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. - Hebrews 11:1

Since I've finally become less of an introvert over the years...interacting with people has given me quite a bit of insight into human nature. Don't get me wrong, I'm neither a psychologist nor a philosopher (though I have a minor in the subject -_-) but that doesn't mean one can't observe certain things about people and posit possible reasons as to why they do what they do. And if there's one thing missing in this world, it's trust. We're always more willing to worry than to trust God for something--it's like an innate response we just can't get rid of. I had first taken note of this habit while in 6th form (or 12th grade if you will). Now I'm not trying to belittle those of us that worry, it's perfectly normal. After all we have deadlines to meet, goals to achieve, and so on and so forth. But the funny thing is that worry changes nothing after you've done all you can. When you are finished, there's nothing you can do but leave the rest in God's hands. Recall that when you are weak, He is strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

But! Why do we do it so much? Why are we so much more willing to gripe and torment ourselves inwardly rather than thinking that the One we can trust is on the job?

My two cents basically amount to the fact that we have a hard time trusting what we can't see. From it ain't broke don't fix it is pretty much equivalent to if I can't see it--I don't trust it or it's irrelevant. And we call ourselves rational? Hah...funny. Sometimes I argue with myself about it--and I'm sure a lot of you out there do the same. Why is it so hard to do. I fight myself everyday--and oftentimes I don't budge. It's hard to get out of the driver's seat--hard to yield control--and much harder still to do what God asks of you. Boy I've got to say that's why I love Paul--he puts it perfectly in Romans...

So I discover this principle: when I want to do good, evil is with me. For in my inner self I joyfully agree with God's law. But I see a different law in the parts of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and taking me prisoner to the law of sin in the parts of my body. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I myself am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh, to the law of sin.

Dattebayo. Believe it. Sorry, too much Naruto in my system--but the above is as true as it gets. I had to embolden that line because here we see Paul do something that most of us loathe to do, especially the proud among us. He admitted his faults. A lot of us will try to mount a self-defense saying "But look I was good to that guy...", "Here I did this..." and a whole host of other things--while not realising that it's not about US, it's about HIM. When you see God on his throne some time in the future (whenever that may be) do you think he'll ask "What did you do?" and leave it at that? No...He'll ask "What did you do with my Son?" After all, who paid for our sins? Who secured our salvation from the Pit? And who loved us enough...to die for us? Did you take his sacrifice seriously? Or did you pass it off like some ordinary event to be lost in the sands of your memory?

...

Think on these things because time is short. And have an answer for your King.

Blessings!

No comments: