Friday 19 November 2010

FREEDOM BEYOND DESPAIR

I wrote this for a competition originally at Samantha's ETP blog, but originally drafted it against one of my favourite Bible verses. It can't be entered as a result since it's supposed to be themed based on a quote by Lweis Carroll, but never mind that. It's not exceptional writing anyway, just more of a stream of thought that just kind of came out of nowhere. I thought of my wife while I wrote it, and the hope we have that someday, she can be seizure-free. I really do love her dearly. Well here it is...


FREEDOM BEYOND DESPAIR

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. – John 14:27(NIV)

She stirs beside me each morning. I look up at the ceiling, contemplating what new challenges we will face. It is not an easy thing to watch a loved one struggle with such a debilitating condition. Her eyes flutter lightly and she grimaces. I can tell that even in her sleep, a raging migraine is storming, bringing her to an eventual rude awakening. I silently get out of bed, and go to the kitchen to get her some water. It’s almost 7:00am, that hour of the morning where birds are singing their morning songs, getting ready to face the glory and wonder of a new day. Would that we could be like them! To have a song upon waking, a song of freedom even! But not today. Someday perhaps. For now there is only faith. Faith that the Lord will bring us through, for it is only by His grace and mercy that we are saved. For in adversity, when we are weakest, is when He shines brightest. I do not know the day nor the hour when my lady will be set free...but I do know that it will happen. As I bring her pill pack, I smile. I smile because I know this will not be forever—only for a time. As long as we are alive, there is hope. Our comfort is in the promise of God, not in those of men. I whisper a prayer and stroke her brow lightly bringing her to the surface ever so gently. Despite the pain, she smiles. And it is for that smile, that I will keep going.

Written By: Joshua E. Thomas

No comments: